God Even Works Sin For Our Good

Oh sin, how the believer in time comes to hate it, and how I hate the time that I do not hate it. I do not want to sound in anyway in favor of sinning or sin, it is a most evil and disgusting thing, it destroys lives, it nailed the purest and holiest, the very Son of God to a tree- He that knew no sin became sin for those who are saved. Sin is so evil, so exceedingly sinful that is so corrupts man that he will never be free from it until he dies, it even brings about that death, for the wages of sin are death….

However, for the Christian, there is a blessedness in sin, for we know that God works all things together to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Rom 8:28). Can it be that God can even use sin? Well the apostle says, ‘all things’ now, this is not to say we should then sin that God may use it, no, for if we say God uses our sicknesses and suffering, do we go out and make ourselves sick, do we hurt our own body and thus not look after the temple of the Holy Spirit, certainly not. Likewise with sin.

Sin troubles me so much, I often cry out like the apostle in Romans 7:24, “Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?”… Christian listen to the apostle’s sweet answer, “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!”(v25a). I have noticed within me, when I fall, and I fall so hard, I am moved I am compelled, either to give-up or to fight! How easy it is to give up, the flesh indeed is weak. Christian don’t waste your sin!

If you have played soccer/football you will know what I am talking about, when you are tackled, you can sometimes feel a fire inside of you that says NO, and you turn and run to get the ball back from the one who took it from you, before he passes it and you are the one who is to blame for the subsequent goal. Or you could just give up and say, “I’m to tired, we will just have to make it up. Or you can wonder what you did wrong, and blame the ball, or the uneven ground.

Christian brothers and sister, it is the flesh, sin within you…. But there is one answer to it. And so when you sin, do not be weary, though I know it is easy, do not blame others, for James tells us when we sin we are led away by our own desires (James 1). Say rather the truth, “Woe is me, who will deliver me from the body of death!!!!

Let me tell you who will deliver you, it is the one who chose you, not because you are attractive, it is the one who saved you to make you glorified, not because you are glorious, it is the one Who became sin for you, Christ Jesus the righteous. So pure and holy, compassionate, tender, meek, merciful to those who come with a broken and contrite spirit. Oh may we Christians ever live with broken and contrite spirits, a spirit that will never trust itself.

Why do I then say sin is blessed?

Look at this list, and I am sure there are more then these, but these are what I have thought up in this short time.

1. My sin causes me to throw myself again at the feet of Christ, and shows me my utter need for Him
  2. My sin cause me to love and cling to Jesus my savior so much more, for there is nothing good within me, but if I can just touch the hem of His garment I will be made well.
  3. My sin crushes my pride and self-righteousness; it shows me my need for Christ and my lack in myself.
  4. My sin reminds me of what grace and mercy is, and what a truly great gift Salvation is
  5. My sin moves me more to hate it as I see it wickedness, it becomes a fuel to fight it with more and more
  6. My sin makes me love my brothers, for I am the chief of sinners and the least of the saints

Christian fight sin, and let Micah 7:7-9 be your chant of war or your cry for victory as you press on

But as for me, I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me.

Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD will be a light to me.

I will bear the indignation of the LORD because I have sinned against him, until he pleads my cause and executes judgment for me. He will bring me out to the light; I shall look upon his vindication.

8 comments for “God Even Works Sin For Our Good

1. April 17, 2008 at 6:54 am

Thanks for that encouragement dude. I like the soccer analogy 😉 But it’s true, we have either of the two choices. I am afraid that of late i have taken the “we’ll catch up” approach (just in case somebody wondered if that was an option – it’s not!).
    I often hear Piper in my mind when i sinned. I hear him screaming “make war against your sin! make war!”

I thought that point 6 is worth pondering about. I reckon that we have so much hypocrisies going on our churches precisely because the very people who point fingers are the ones that have not understood their sin well.

I heard Mark Driscoll say this once: “We are all hypocrites! We demand grace but we give justice!” So, so true! And lest yuo be confused about this as well, the Gospel is NOT about giving justice!

The Gospel is sweet to the sinners heart, because it gives and gives and gives and gives grace, all abounding, never ending! WOW! I am glad i am not God … because if it was me, that message would be not a happy one for sinners … i would demand justice.
    But God gives Grace, every day anew.

be blessed
    in HIM

2. April 17, 2008 at 7:18 am

Just thought about another thing:

“Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”
    (Luk 17:3-4)

This is Christ speaking, rebuking his disciples about their idea of justice. He tells them to forgive every time a person comes and asks for forgiveness. But that ALSO means that He will do the same, right? How could Jesus demand such an attitude if this was not His character.

But it IS His very nature!

So glad about that.

because of Him.

3. tyrellh
    April 17, 2008 at 7:28 am

Thnks for the comments. Yeah I get what you are saying, it has come so clearly to me recently out of James, show mercy and you will be shown mercy, you know. Its funny cause the other day I realized that sometimes we can want to be rid of sin for the wrong reasons. Like…. Help me not do this sin God, but really the reason I don’t want it is not because I hate the sin, but because knowing that I sin messes up my ability to be proud in front of other Christians, but if we realize our sin, we have to be merciful and longsuffering. Know what I mean

4. oxysmoron
    June 3, 2008 at 5:12 am

Oh blessed you are! I so enjoyed reading this one!

I would Joy in being able to put this on the blog and add your link page.

One evening I was in the car with an assistant pastor (woman) and she says to me: I have never been out in the world, I never engaged in sin and I have kept myself clean”. Honestly I was floored and speechless. Straightway my eyes were wide; yet my lips were shut… they could not move. At first I thought I was talking to the most holy woman I had ever met… until someone stopped me from making a fool out of myself. Could it be… oh my goodness… could it be… this is the pharasee often spoken of in the Word? I sat and listened to the accomplishments, and self satisfaction of her works and laws that were kept and she not understanding how others just could not do it as she had done. Then I had a reality moment:

How could she know or understand the True Mercies of God. ?

How can anyone of us understand the True Mercies of God if we are not repentent of Heart. ?

How would be able to understand if we do not acknowledge our own sinfulness ?

Tyrellh, I cannot tell you how this particular message tonight has found it’s way into my heart. There was something which was bothering me for a long time and tonight I believe Jesus has helped me to see.

At times, I think due to Love, we just don’t want to see it as it is. We make grand excuses for those individuals because they wear the Tag ” christian”. Thanking God He is Longsuffering toward us.

5. tyrellh
    June 3, 2008 at 9:15 am

You know what else is really cool about this…. Romans 5:1-2, verse 2 talks about the believer standing in grace, well think about this, grace can only function where there is failure. (not an ecuse to sin, but a reason to fight sin and not be crushed by shame)

6. June 12, 2008 at 8:34 am

Hi Tyrell,
    How I thank God for you and your committment to preach the Word.
    However, the title, ‘The Blessedness of Sin’ I feel is inappropriate. While I understand the context from which you write I don’t think there is any good purpose served in the title you chose.
    I think a better title would have rather been: ‘The Blessedness of Grace.’ You title appears to be a contradiction in terms. The old sage John Fletcher is reported as saying, ‘Plead for sin, plead for sin, you may as plead for the devil as plead for sin.’

Now, I know this is not what you are doing. But, if we are to apply a little logic from your title, it would appear then that the more I sin the more blessed I am. For it is sin then that drives me to God and it it sin that moves me to greater humilty etc.

Perhaps, it is more appropriate to speak of the ‘cursedness’ of sin, for sin is a curse and we praise God that the Lord Jesus, in the fullest sense of the word, became a curse for us.

You are often in my thoughts and prayers,

Hugo

7. tyrellh
    June 12, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Thank you for your comments I appreciate it, being young I need wisdom to temper my zeal at times. Good to hear from you.

Comments are closed.